Tuesday, June 14, 2011

New House....FINALLY

So, Peter and I finally moved. We started last Saturday (June 4) and everything was in our new house by Monday, June 6th. this was no easy feat either. It took two trips each with my parents' large and fancy 3 horse trailer with living quarters, and our 4 horse stock trailer. It also involved an entire trailer load to the dump.

How do two people gather so much CRAP? I mean, it is actually embarrassing to have that much stuff laying around, hiding in corners, that needed to go to the dump.

On Wednesday, we cleaned. We scrubbed from top to bottom and let me tell you, I was thankful that we kept it so nice because if we hadn't it would have taken us so much longer. Oh, and you know those white carpets I complained about? Well I had to clean them all the time because they are WHITE and we have ANIMALS, but thank God for that, because all they needed was some freshening up. The water in the carpet cleaner was clean. I am proud of myself...can you tell?

The new house...not so clean.

It is a lovely 2 story remodled farm house, with a 3/4 wrap around deck, a creepy meth basement, a large arena, pastures and...24 ACRES!!! Like, we super lucked out on this one scoob!

But, it is dirty. There are limbs down everyewhere. Thwe 100 year old barn is sturdy, but a walleyed mess. and the inside of the house is just filthy. I made a huge deal about how we take care of our animals, we clean up after them, they live in our home, not the other way around...and I am now thinking that I may have offended the owner. Who is a very nice, and classically busy soul. I really do like her, but GEEZ.

And the carpets.

OMG, the carpets upstairs were dastardly. I can think of no other word. They actually had a persona. And the smell would reach down the stairs and smack you in the face. They are a smart dark green color, and you know there is trouble when you look at dark carpets and can see dirt stains.

I have 2 Bissell Big Green Machines (which I get so much crap for by the way "why do you need two of those" all of the whiney voices ask) and a small little green machine for spot cleaning.

I was thanking the Maker for having 2 big greens because one of my machines actually BROKE while cleaning this carpet. I was pulling out the muddiest most disgusting water you could ever imagine, and I went through six bottles of pure Amonia (for cleanliness) and 4 bottles of "LA's Totally Awesome Floor Cleaner" in Lavender (for deoderizing).

After three tries, the smell was gone, and our carpets were cleaned. There are stains that I can do nothing about, but it smells fresh, we can move furniture in and I feel better about it!

Now for the lower level floors: gorgeous oak flooring that looks pretty hammered...until you get it clean. After 4 buckets of mop water, the dining room is clean, and actually sparkles. The newly painted walls and beautiful accent crown molding are really set off by the floors. Add our antique oak dining set, and china hutch and the result is breathtaking! And, to date, the dining room is the only finished room in the house.

Which brings me to the kitchen. For a moment, let's forget the food and utensils and boxes laying around (canned food of course, I'm not a pig!) and get to the root of the matter: a stunning updated kitchen with a convection combo oven, a glass cooktop and griddle combo range, a two tiered drawer style dishwasher and a recessed fridge. Those last two are most certainly broken.

Yup, brand new, and broken. The appliance store has the part to fix our fridge, and they are having two guys come out and fix it...sometime. The dishwasher is another story.

I opened it up to find Dog hair and crud in both drawers. In taking them apart to clean, we discovered that the drain hose is broken in half, so the dirty water was recycling right back onto the dishes. YUCK! So, that is in pieces until we can figure out how to get the hose.

These are just some of the things that need to be done. And believe me, there will be more. I will more than likely be talking a lot about this in the coming months, so be prepared!

No comments:

Post a Comment